Sunday, May 8, 2016

Day 1: Wiffleballs and Nerf Guns

Today was my first day on the exchange trip to the Academy at Charlemont. I'm staying with Bill Comeaux and Trish Parker and their wonderful children Emily, currently a sophomore at The Academy and Evan, who will be attending next year as a seventh grader.

Upon my arrival at the Springfield, MA train station, I met Mr. Comeaux, a Texas native, who filled me in about small-town life and the details of his home. The Trail became a huge talking point with his history of backpacking in Colorado. His family lives in Conway, 45 minutes from Springfield, with a population of around 1700. The town is mostly agricultural, and the Comeaux family owns 10 chickens.

When I reached the house, I was greeted by Evan, playing with a yellow umbrella by his fort, and Mrs. Parker. After Mr. Comeaux and Mrs. Parker showed me around the house, I played a three-inning game of wiffleball with Evan and Mr. Comeaux; we only stopped because of the onset of rain.

Then I met Emily, who'll be my guide at the Academy. She, like her father, has a love of backpacking, and has experience in it. We had a long conversation about what I should expect tomorrow at the Academy.

I ended the day with a tour of Evan's room full of Nerf Guns and disassembled electronics. 

I can't wait for tomorrow!

-Jonathan Lewis, signing out.

1 comment:

  1. I'll bet you can't wait to get a hold of those disassembled electronics :)

    ReplyDelete