Monday, May 9, 2016

First Day Of School

Today was my first day of school at The Academy at Charlemont. School begins with a morning meeting that is not dissimilar to St. Benedict's' convocation. There, in the Common Room/Cafeteria, everyone meets together and runs through attendance and announcements. My host, Emily, introduced me to the whole school of 89 students this morning.

Then I went to my A block, which was a free block today. During this time, I met most of the senior class, and filled them in on Saint Benedict's while they filled me in about Charlemont. One particular student, Matt, became my impromptu guide, giving me a play-by-play of what happens at the school.

Also during my A block, I meet another student named Allen, who is currently in the process of building a computer. He asked me to help him with it this weekend, to which I agreed.

Next, I went to advisory, a period similar to group in Saint Benedict's, where I met my Spanish V teacher, Mrs. Vasquez
 There the students shared their experiences on the recent class trips they took last week.

For second period, I had Humanities with Mr. Gay, where we talked about the life of the Prophet Muhammad.

C Block was another free block, right before lunch, where I talked to my class more in depth and I learned more about then as a whole.

During my Spanish V class, I watched a movie called Strawberries and Chocolate about a homosexual man in revolutionary Cuba. The entire class was in Spanish, which was different, to say the least.

During my E Block, I took a Calculus class which makes me feel like I'm in Groundhog's Day, because I just finished Calculus AB in Saint Benedict's.

After class, I played basketball with Coach Wilder, who is my baseball coach. He graduated from the Academy last year and is taking a gap year this year.

I practiced pitching with the baseball team for the game against Mohawk High School on Thursday.

After school, I went with Emily and her father to Greenfield for her viola lessons. While there, I took a stroll through the town with Mr. Comeaux.

I rounded out the day with a riveting conversation with Emily and Evan about cellular reproduction, evolution, bacterial resistance to medicine, and trash pollution

-Jonathan Lewis, signing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment